April 28, 2008

New Healthy Food

My mom and I tried a new food today. It is a recipe from Weight Watchers. Its called Spagetti Squash! It looks like large yellow squash, and when it’s raw, it looks like pumpkin. It has the thick skin and the inside has seeds. You can either bake it (Cut squash in half, remove seeds. Bake cut side down in baking pan containing small amount of water. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes) or microwave it (10 minutes). Once it is cooked the flesh can be pulled apart into spaghetti-like strands. I was a bit leary but it hardly has a flavor at all. It is a bit crunchier then pasta but it is CARB FREE so you can't beat that. I asked my mom before we cooked it if you could pass it off to a little kid (or Phil) as a noodle substitute and she said only if they have never seen a noodle before. So it won't work for that purpose but if your husband or fiance isn't super picky when it comes to food and is willing to try new things (unlike mine) then you should try it! We made our own marinara with tomato sauce, tomato paste, onions, mushrooms and spinach and it was really yummy!

Here is a picture:

1 comment:

Kirsten Alana said...

My mother always cooked this when I was a girl and I remember it being very delicious! I need to try that for Nathan and I!