June 1, 2011

A weeklong trip to Michigan

A few weeks ago we were able to take our annual May trip home to Michigan. We made a quick stop on our way in Toledo where I left Phil to attend his friend Jared's bachelorette party and my sister came to pick me up and we were able to enjoy some serious sister time. We visited our favorite childhood restaurant....the Spaghetti Warehouse. It was delicious! After enjoying a meal there we went to Somerset mall for some shopping at the Detroit Shoppe and Anthropologie.
Sunday I went to a baby shower with my mom and grandma and then we did some shopping at Kohls before Phil and I headed out to Lake Orion for dinner at our good friends the Magnussons and the Walters who were in town from New Jersey. It was so nice to catch up with them and see MJ and Zoe.

This year our trip was extra long because were were able to attend a conference for Phil's work at our alma mater, Rochester College. We really enjoyed the conference, catching up with friends and spending some time walking around campus and soaking up the memories.

Tuesday morning we went a picked up our favorite breakfast. Coffee and Bagels from Elaines. They have the BEST coffee!
In the evening we met my sister down at Comerica Park to watch the Detroit Tigers play the Toronto Blue Jays. After 2 hours of walking around the park and enjoying some traditional coney island food the game was cancelled due to rain. We were still able to catch a cute picture!

Wednesday morning we started out with Turtle Mocha and a Hot Chocolate from Caribou before heading out for our last day at the "Streaming" conference.
We had lunch with Phil's friend, Mark and his new fiancee Laura. It was really nice to spend some time with them both and catch up on life. After lunch we went to watch the Van Hoosen Middle School Track meet. We watched Ashley run a race and caught up with Rich, Kim and Alexis. It was so good to see him. After that we met up with our friends David and Laura to meet their new baby Grayson. My friend Karina came too. It was great to catch up with them and meet Grayson, who is adorable. Here's proof.
Thursday Phil and I slept in, cleaned moms house and then met her for lunch at the Onion Roll Deli for some traditional delicious Jewish deli sandwiches.
Afterward we headed to the coffee shop to do some work. In the evening I went to see my cousin Taylor off to her high school prom at the same location that I had mine at 9 years ago. It was fun and sentimental all at the same time. Doesn't she look beautiful!

Friday Phil and I treated grandpa and mom to 18 holes of golf at Kensington Metropark. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. It was my first time out for the season so I didn't play as well as I would have liked but it was fun anyway. Here is Phil and I out on the course:

Saturday we celebrated my grandpa Flynn's 80th birthday with a surprise party that my sister planned with her friend Amanda. The party was vintage baseball theme (a whole post for this will come later). It was really a great time. We visited with friends and family, enjoyed delicious hotdogs and even played a little bit of softball. Here is a picture of the table that welcome everyone to the party.Sunday evening we drove back down to Toledo for Jared and Elizabeth's wedding. Jared was Phil's roomate in college. It was so special for us to be a part of their special day. Catching up with friends was fun as well.

Here we are with the beautiful bride and groom!

Roomies :) Jen, Liz and I

Roomies :) Adam, Jared and Phil
We spent the stormy night of the wedding with our friends Katie and Ryan, Jen, Liz, Joe, Keri and Adam playing Catch Phrase and Apples to Apples before going to bed and heading back to Indiana. It was a wonderful time at home making memories!





1 comment:

see what i sea designs said...

Such a fun trip! I wish I could have been there for Grandpa's party. I heard it was a blast!