March 26, 2011

Recipe :: Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili


I made this recipe out of a combination of several other recipes. I have had a burst of confidence in the kitchen during the Lenten season. I took a recipe that I got from my mom and a couple I found online and made them my own. I wanted something I could make in the crockpot so it would be ready when I returned from an afternoon of shopping in Indy with some friends. I also wanted it to be a double batch but I didn't have enough of all the ingredients to double. You can make this on the stovetop as well. You will just need to brown the sweet potatoes and onions in oil before adding all the other soup ingredients.

So here it is::

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in to 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 peppers (red, green or orange), seeded and chopped
2 cups of water
4 cups of black beans (or 3 cans of black beans drained and rinsed)
a few squeezes of lime juice
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. This recipe will make a LARGE batch but it will freeze well for later use. Enjoy!



2 comments:

The Jessie James Gang said...

It is not often that I come across a new recipe that sounds good, and I happen to have all the ingredients on hand when I read it. I must be destined to make this recipe :).

Foodie said...

This happens all the time , we will forget one or the other thing when we are preparing some new dish.