March 15, 2011

Mission Trip to D.C

For the past two weeks the class I am teaching at church has been studying the landmine of insecurity. Insecurity is something that we all struggle with and often times we are tempted to dwell on. As you are reading this I am on my way to participate in an experience that I feel the most inadequate to do - evangelism.

Some may think that mission work is different than evangelism but in urban ministry they are closely connected. Throughout the week Phil and I along with 4 of our Purdue college students will be surrounded by opportunities to sit and talk with the people of Washington D.C. We have the opportunity to evangelize. I am nervous and feel inadequate but I find comfort in a passage that a friend shared with our class this past Sunday.

Acts 17:26-27
26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. (NIV)

This passage reminds me that our purpose on this earth was planned and thought out. God is in his creation, he is close to every one of us and he is in control. This verse comforts me specifically when I think about talking with people who have had a rough time and are mad at God or can't believe that God is there for us. This verse brings us back to the purpose of our existence as human beings. It answers the questions why here?, why me?, why now?

God has called me to this mission work at the CSC and he has since called the CSC to Washington D.C. He put me in this position to minister to these people so that they will seek him and perhaps that they will reach out to him and find comfort in his loving embrace. These words of Paul help me to feel confident in my abilities as an evangelist. With God's guidance and support I am going to show the people of D.C the love and constant presence of God.

Please join me in praying for our mission trip this week. Please pray for the people that we will meet. That God will meet us on the streets of Washington D.C and that he will use us to do his Good works!


No comments: