December 6, 2010

My first stew!

This morning we woke up to winter. The calender may not say that winter is here but the temperature doesn't lie! 6 degrees! I am not complaining at all though because warm air would make the beautiful snow melt before Christmas.

In honor of this cold windy day I decided to make my first ever beef stew. I remember having beef stew while growing up but I have never made a beef stew myself or even helped prepare one for that matter.

I found the recipe here.

I like this variation of stew because it isn't super heavy. Sometimes stew can be too much. The beans replace the potatoes adding extra protein. I didn't follow the recipe exactly. We didn't have carrots in the house and I didn't feel like running out to the store. Instead I used both the green beans and the spinach. I also added in some celery that I had frozen in the freezer. I also didn't have fresh herbs but I thought that the dried ones did the job. We skipped on the cheese topping and instead indulged on cheesy garlic rolls warmed in the microwave! We will be enjoying this stew a few more times this week!

Photobucket

No comments: